How to migrate from MIT krb5 -> Heimdal?

David Wolfskill dhw at mail-abuse.org
Tue Jan 23 17:13:20 EST 2007

We are currently using Kerberos (MIT -- possibly "customized" -- on the
master & slave servers; MIT on a few older client machines; Heimdal on
the newer client machines) in a predominantly FreeBSD environment.

This arrangement (where the master & slave KDC run MIT while the
bulk of the clients run Heimdal) has been working as long as we do
such things as run "kadmin" on one of the older client machines
that has MIT krb5 installed, but we need to replace the client
machine where we run the "kadmin" stuff with a newer one, and we
would prefer to just use the plain "vanilla" Heimdal Kerberos 5
implementation that we get "for free" with FreeBSD.

We have no need whatsoever to have any concerns about interoperability
with other Kerberos implementations, whether Kerberos 4 or from
non-FreeBSD environments.

Is there a way to copy the salient information from the MIT krb5 KDC to
a shiny new Heimdal KDC in such a way that the Heimdal KDC can then
actually use the information to create or validate tickets?

Alternatively, where might I look for such information?

[I am sending a separate copy of this message to the
heimdal-discuss at sics.se list.]

Thanks!

Peace,
david
David Wolfskill         Trend Micro San Jose              dhw at mail-abuse.org
cell: (650) 400-2312    office: (408) 625-1076 or (408) 453-6277 x124

David Wolfskill         Trend Micro San Jose              dhw at mail-abuse.org
cell: (650) 400-2312    office: (408) 625-1076 or (408) 453-6277 x124