kinit(v5): Cannot contact any KDC for requested ...

Chittaranjan Mandal Chittaranjan.Mandal at iitkgp.ac.in
Mon Aug 13 16:10:30 EDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-08-13 at 12:34 -0400, Kevin Coffman wrote:

> I suspect a problem with /etc/hosts.  This should not be "localhost",
> but the real hostname (i.e.,
> kadmin/chitta.cse.iitkgp.ernet.in at CHITTA.CSE.KRB)

Indeed, my /etc/hosts file had chitta.cse.iitkgp.ernet.in as an alias
for localhost. Now I have dropped all aliases for localhost from
/etc/hosts. In my /etc/krb5.conf, in section [libdefaults], I have
the following two lines:
 dns_lookup_realm = false
 dns_lookup_kdc = true

At last, kinit seems to be working.

kinit -V kuser
Password for kuser at CHITTA.CSE.KRB:
Authenticated to Kerberos v5

$ klist
Ticket cache: FILE:/tmp/krb5cc_500
Default principal: kuser at CHITTA.CSE.KRB

08/14/07 01:19:32  08/14/07 07:59:32
krbtgt/CHITTA.CSE.KRB at CHITTA.CSE.KRB

Thanks!
--