Kerberized DBMS's Available

Tim Alsop Tim.Alsop at CyberSafe.Com
Thu Oct 5 14:13:02 EDT 2006

Sybase also supports Kerberos, but does not embed Kerberos libraries
like Oracle decided to, instead it uses a GSS-API interface.

I also understand that IBMs database product supports Kerberos, but I
have limited experience of it to comment. I beleive they have
implemented the interface to the Kerberos libraries using exits, so if
you don't like how it works you can code new security exits to implement
your own Kerberos authentication needs.

Thanks,
Tim

-----Original Message-----
From: kerberos-bounces at mit.edu [mailto:kerberos-bounces at mit.edu] On
Behalf Of Henry B. Hotz
Sent: 05 October 2006 18:57
To: kerberos at mit.edu
Subject: Kerberized DBMS's Available

I'm looking for a DBMS that supports Kerberos for user authentication
and has a JDBC client.  It appears that I may have to write the
support myself, unless someone can add something I haven't been able
to find out.

The "big three" I know about are:

MySQL -- market leader, but no Kerberos support.  Also AFAIK no
ability to use the identity from an SSH or SSL tunnel.  SASL/GSSAPI
patches probably acceptable if offered.

PostgreSQL -- supports Kerberos directly with the MIT API.  No SASL/
GSSAPI support so Kerberos support doesn't work with the JDBC client,
or on Windows (unless you build against KfW presumably).  GSSAPI
patches probably acceptable if done "cleanly".

Oracle -- supports Kerberos directly using some pre-release MIT code
independent of available any outside Kerberos libraries.  Not sure if
our site license allows export of the client, or if they have a
Kerberos aware JDBC client.  I expect not for at least one of those.

----
Henry.B.Hotz at jpl.nasa.gov, or hbhotz at oxy.edu