Domains with linux and windows

Edward Murrell edward at dlconsulting.com
Wed Nov 22 18:48:49 EST 2006

Paco Pelma wrote:
> Hi.
> In my work I do this for put a windows machine into the domain
>
> 1. Assign a valid name, for example w0000000
>
> 2. My pc/properties
>
> 3. Change name
>
> 4. Domain: my_domain
>
> Then it prompts for a user an a password:
>
> my_domain\my_user
> my_password
>
> I want to do this with a linux machine. I cofigure /etc/krb5.conf,
> /etc/resolv.conf, /etc/nsswitch.conf and /etc/samba/smb.conf, but when
> I run:
>
> # kinit my_domain\my_user at my_domain
>
> I get this message:
>
> kinit(v5) cannot contact any kdc for requested realm...
>
> In this linux machine I can connect to internet, I can see others
> domain machines... But I can't no gain access to shared directories on
> windows machines. Can u help me?
>
> Thanks in advice

For reasons I don't understand, MS bollocksed the principle standard,
you probably need to try;
kinit user at MY_DOMAIN

Also, the error 'kinit(v5) cannot contact any kdc for requested realm'
generally means one of two things.
1) It can't find the KDC using the info given, which means DNS or
/etc/krb5.conf is misconfigured
2) It can't contact the KDC because the KDC isn't running, or is
firewalled off, or some other network problem.

Hope this helps.

Edward