SSH Problem with Kerberos

Konstantin Boyanov kkboyanov at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 11:07:21 EST 2006

Hi there,

I'm really new to all this Kerberos thing, so in the next sentences you may
find some true luser talk. Pleas forgive me :)

I'm trying to configure an MVME6100 machine running RHLE 4 to work in an AFS
environment with Kerberos authentication. Especially SSH access to the
machine with an existing AFS account. So... I installed MIT Kerberos 1.4 on
the new machine and tried to connect to it with SSH. But it only works with
local accounts, not with my AFS account. When trying to kinit on the new
machine, the program is complaining about some missing file:

klist: No ticket file: /tmp/krb5cc_0

On the other hand I don't think I've done the whole configuration files
stuff right - especially the ones krb5.keytab and krb-srvtab. I've tried to
copy (steal actually :) ) these files from other working machines on the
company's network, but after all krb5.keytab and krb-srvtab are only
root-readable, and I don;t have sufficient access rigths to do it.
So my question is - how it is the authentication / configuration of a new
machine on the network done, using Kerberos and enabling SSH access to it
with the AFS tokens already obtained. I have googled the net for a week or
so but haven't found any good explanation and documentation obout it. Only
some sample files that worth nothing to me...
Once again sorry for the lame questions but I really need this done and I'm
already desperate enogh to think that I woun't make it at the end.

Any help is wellcome. Thank you.

Best Regards,
Konstantin Boyanov