kadmin command line history/editing

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Sun Jun 25 16:28:53 EDT 2006

"Colin Simpson" <csimpson at csl.co.uk> writes:

> I'm interested to know what the status of kadmin (and ktutil come to
> that) command line history/editing. I believe Heimdal comes by default
> with this.

> I've also seen some references to this in the build docs and some
> patches to do this on the web. I was just wondering why it doesn't come
> "out of the box" with this feature? For ease of support/admin I'm just
> using RH's standard RPM's for Kerberos, which I know I could probably
> winge for them to include the patch but they are probably more keen to
> ship whatever MIT do by default.

> I realise I may be stepping on a political landmine of some sort but
> just wondering...

Command line history and editing works on Debian with the MIT kadmin, so
my guess is that it depends on what the ss library kadmin is linked with
supports.  Debian's kadmin is linked with the system-provided ss library,
which comes from e2fsprogs and looks like it attempts to load a
readline-compatible library dynamically at runtime.  The one that comes
with MIT Kerberos is older and doesn't look like it includes that support.