Java 1.5 is not encoding integers properly

Salil Dangi first_dot_last_ at unisys.com
Wed Jun 21 20:03:41 EDT 2006

As per the ASN encoding specifications, all integers must be encoded in
minimum number of octets.
This means that the top 9 bits of the encoded string should not be same.

It is possible that other implementations of ASN encoding have similar bug
and this encoding error is either not detected or ignored.

In my case, I am receiving seq-number encoded as FFFFXXXX (A706 0204
FFFFXXXX) and this is wrong.
It should be encoded as 00FFFFXXXX (A707 0205 00FFFFXXXX).

Is my interpretation of rules of the ASN encoding correct?

news:4499D248.2050604 at sun.com...