Database seems to have become corrupted

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Thu Jul 20 10:44:08 EDT 2006

I was hoping someone could give me a bit of advice.  This morning at
precisely 4AM our long-running master KDC started spewing these errors
once every propagate run:

dump: error performing Kerberos version 5 release 1.3 dump (Database
record is incomplete or corrupted)
/usr/kerberos/sbin/kprop: '/var/kerberos/krb5kdc/slave_datatrans' more
recent than '^X^S'^H/kerberos/krb5k\
dc/slave_datatrans.dump_ok'.

If I run kadmin and do a listprincs, I get:

get_principals: Database record is incomplete or corrupted while
retrieving list.  Here's what the server has:

-rw-------  1 root root   8192 Jul 17 10:22 principal.kadm5
-rw-------  1 root root 442368 Jul 17 11:13 principal
-rw-------  1 root root      0 Jul 17 11:13 principal.ok
-rw-------  1 root root      1 Jul 20 04:00 slave_datatrans.XXX.last_prop
-rw-------  1 root root      1 Jul 20 04:00 slave_datatrans.dump_ok
-rw-------  1 root root 210687 Jul 20 09:40 slave_datatrans

At this point I have backups on tape which I'm pulling off and I have
a slave KDC which as I understand things should have a good copy of
the database.  Here's what it has:

-rw-------  1 root root      0 Jul 20 04:00 principal.kadm5.lock
-rw-------  1 root root   8192 Jul 20 04:00 principal.kadm5
-rw-------  1 root root 303104 Jul 20 04:00 principal
-rw-------  1 root root 444158 Jul 20 04:00 from_master
-rw-------  1 root root      0 Jul 20 04:00 principal.ok

I'm operating remotely today and don't want to completely hose the
system.  Could someone give me a few hints as to what the simplest
thing to do would be?

 - J<