Unable to find requested database type

Cy Schubert Cy.Schubert at spqr.komquats.com
Sun Jul 16 17:45:49 EDT 2006

In message <77CE3E93-F067-4D49-A264-148A6DD55C6C at mit.edu>, Ken Raeburn
writes:
> On Jul 14, 2006, at 17:22, Cy Schubert wrote:
> > Upgrading a testbed here, I'm receiving messages stating "Unable to
> > find
> > requested database type" from krb5kdc and kdb5_util, on a FreeBSD
> > platform.
> > Running truss against applications show that it successfully stats
> > db2.so.
> > What else should I look at?
>
> It's likely caused by our plugin code not properly loading the
> module.  If it doesn't open the file after the stat call, the likely
> cause is a bug in our configure scripts such that dlopen won't be
> used if the "dl" library isn't found.  (We check for dlopen in that
> library, but not for dlopen being available *without* that library.
> If we can't link against that library and find the function, we
> lose.  Oops.)  This is discussed in http://krbdev.mit.edu/rt/Ticket/
> Display.html?id=3971 .
>
> If it does try to open it, and fails after that point, it may be
> something new....

Indeed that was the problem. FreeBSD has no libdl, the dl*() functions are in libc. As there is no libdl, the configure scripts didn't bother to check for the existance of the dl*() functions [in libc] and failed quietly at that.

--
Cheers,
Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert at komquats.com>

    "Lift long enough and I believe arrogance is replaced by
    humility and fear by courage and selfishness by generosity
    and rudeness by compassion and caring."
        -- Dave Draper