Unable to find requested database type

Dennis Davis D.H.Davis at bath.ac.uk
Mon Jul 17 05:51:04 EDT 2006

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006, Ken Raeburn wrote:

> From: Ken Raeburn <raeburn at mit.edu>
> To: Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert at spqr.komquats.com>
> Cc: kerberos at mit.edu
> Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 07:36:27 -0400
> Subject: Re: Unable to find requested database type
>
> On Jul 14, 2006, at 17:22, Cy Schubert wrote:
> > Upgrading a testbed here, I'm receiving messages stating "Unable
> > to find requested database type" from krb5kdc and kdb5_util, on
> > a FreeBSD platform.  Running truss against applications show
> > that it successfully stats db2.so.  What else should I look at?
>
> It's likely caused by our plugin code not properly loading the
> module.  If it doesn't open the file after the stat call, the
> likely cause is a bug in our configure scripts such that dlopen
> won't be used if the "dl" library isn't found.  (We check for
> dlopen in that library, but not for dlopen being available
> *without* that library.  If we can't link against that library
> and find the function, we lose.  Oops.)  This is discussed in
> http://krbdev.mit.edu/rt/Ticket/Display.html?id=3971 .

This probably explains the problem I had when briefly trying to get
krb5-1.5-signed.tar working on OpenBSD.  There is no "dl" library on
OpenBSD, dlopen is in libc.  And sure enough, the generated file:

krb5-1.5/src/include

contains:

/* Define if dlopen should be used */
/* #undef USE_DLOPEN */

As a Quick'N'Dirty fix, can I just alter the above to:

#define USE_DLOPEN 1

after the configuration and just before the build?
--
Dennis Davis, BUCS, University of Bath, Bath, BA2 7AY, UK
D.H.Davis at bath.ac.uk               Phone: +44 1225 386101