KDC Hardware

Turbo Fredriksson turbo at bayour.com
Fri Jan 6 06:37:51 EST 2006

Quoting Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz at cmu.edu>:

> On Thursday, January 05, 2006 10:03:44 AM +0200 Amir Saad
> <Amir.Saad at bibalex.org> wrote:
>
>> i use Fedora 4, OpenLDAP and Kerberos instead of NIS
>> what is the suitable hardware configuration for the KDC to support a
>> network with 200 machines? thanks
>
> Whatever random piece of crap you have lying around will do just fine.

If you ever decide to put the mail information in LDAP, then
'Whatever random piece of crap you have lying around' will be
WAY to small. I run my LDAP/Kerberos on a Sun Blade 1000 (2x750MHz
Ultra SPARC III), a Sun Ultra 10 (1x360MHz Ultra SPARC IIi) and a
Sun Ultra 1 (1x170MHZ Ultra SPARC I). This IS that 'random piece of
crap'. All three works as mailservers (forwards to the SB1k where
people get there mail - IMAP/POP) and as LDAP/Kerberos servers.

They are WAY to slow, although now they are fast enough to withstand
the pressure without crashing (I upgraded the U1 from a SS20 and that
combo crashed every now and then).

Note though the 'random piece of crap' note is true when it comes
to KERBEROS (that doesn't need ANYTHING regarding power/storage/speed)
but not LDAP... That is a lot more demanding...

But buying the cheapest machine you can find (lots of memory just to
be sure though - 1Gb) would last you quite a while. No need for SCSI
and/or SATA and all that. IDE will be fast enough (but I'd software
RAID two or more just to be on the _safe_ side).