Oracle Advanced Security Option and Kerberos

Douglas E. Engert deengert at anl.gov
Fri Feb 24 15:50:10 EST 2006

Thanks, Tim, this does explain a lot, and I like the gssapi plugin
approach. We need to try and get Oracle to do this.

Tim Alsop wrote:

> Douglas,
>
> Some more info for you :
>
> In Oracle 7,8 and 9 there are 2 ASO adapters, one called "KERBEROS5" and
> the other called "CYBERSAFE". You can determine which adapter is used
> when you configure sqlnet.

What about 10? In the Netmanager? On windows, I only see KERBEROS5, NTS
and RADIUS as choices. Does it have to have CyberSafe installed before
it will show it?

> The CyberSafe ASO Kerberos adapter uses GSSAPI. This is because we don't
> expose our native K5 protocol API to partners, or to any customers, and
> also (perhaps more importantly) it allows the CyberSafe Kerberos product
> installed to be changed/updated without having to install a new Oracle
> database/client. In this case, the GSSAPI library takes care of
> interfaces with the cred cache, additional protocols, KDC differences
> etc.

Yes, that would solve many of the the problems, like more DES only,
the KRB5CCNAME parsing, and ticket cache type.

> The other ASO adapter called KERBEROS5 is implemented by Oracle, using
> an old version of MIT Kerberos code which is embedded inside the Oracle
> product, so you don't have to install any Kerberos libraries yourself.

Doing an nm on the library, and looking at routine names. it does not
look like any MIT release I have even seen. That was why I was speculating
that it was from your product.

> This has many disadvantages because you cannot update the MIT code to
> the latest version, and have to rely on Oracle updating their code,
> which they did when they moved to Oracle 10.

Yes, the DES only, cache type = 2  and KRB5CCNAME parsing are good examples
of where this had an effect.

> I hope you will agree, that the more appropriate architecture moving
> forwards would be to use GSSAPI, and have some sort of configuration
> parameter in sqlnet, so that the GSS library name can be specified. This
> will mean customers can use any GSSAPI library with Oracle software,
> apply their own mods, updates etc. without (a) waiting for Oracle to
> make same changes, and (b) installing a new version of Oracle just so
> they can improve security. Of course, it will also mean that Oracle
> won't need to 'embed' any Kerberos libraries in their product, and this
> will make supporting new customer requirements much easier than it is
> today. This is the approach used by Sybase and IBM with database
> products - both of them support Kerberos using a configurable GSS-API
> library.

I full agree! You say Sybase and IBM do this... That might be an option
if Oracle does not make some improvements.

> I talked to Oracle about 3 years ago, suggesting that they made
> these changes, but the product manager at that time was not able to
> convince others in Oracle development team that this was the 'way to
> go'.

I think a lot of people have talked to Oracle, over the years, and get
the same response...

> Maybe you will have more luck if you try again ?

Thats what this threadis all about.

> I agree that the mapping needs to be improved. Our experience is that
> customers have difficultly with the way it works today because they
> cannot use existing database users, instead they have to create new
> users using the realm name as part of the username, and it has to be
> uppercase.

Yes this is a show stopper. There is no way that we could transition
from one to another.

> This means, that a Kerberos principal user1 at DOMAIN and a
> principal User1 at DOMAIN would have their own unique passwords, but Oracle
> would authenticate them both as USER1 at DOMAIN (the Oracle username) even
> though they are different principals with different passwords :-)

That is sort of the the way Windows AD treats Kerberos, as case insensitive,
and we are learning to live with it.

> I hope this helps ?

Sure does, OK, if we forward your note ot Oracle?

> Thanks,
> Tim

  Argonne National Laboratory
  9700 South Cass Avenue