KRB5KDC_ERR_S_PRINCIPAL_UNKNOWN

Markus Zeilinger mz at sea.uni-linz.ac.at
Wed Feb 8 02:50:12 EST 2006

Hi all,

have an interesting thing here, at least for me it is interesting! ;-)

I use Outlook 2003 to connect to an Exchange 2000 Server in a Windows
2000 Active Directory environment. As set in the options Outlook uses,
or even tries to use, Kerberos to authenticate against the Exchange
Server. When I sniff the network traffice I see the following packets:

1. A packet KRB5: TGS-REQ
2. A packet KRB5: KRB Error: KRB5KDC_ERR_S_PRINCIPAL_UNKNOWN

Then it seems that the system tries Kerberos a second time and then
switches to NTLM. Everything works fine from then on.

Does anyone know what the error message exactly means and what problem
this might be?

Thx a lot for all help in advance!
Cheers,
Markus