Cannot resolve network address for KDC in requested (error 220)

ttenhave@mail.med.upenn.edu ttenhave at mail.med.upenn.edu
Thu Dec 21 21:29:07 EST 2006

Hello,

I'm a new user of Kerberos 5 by way of Leash
at the University of Pennsylvania in order
to access their mail server with Thunderbird.
I apologize if this issue has already been
addressed on this listserv. If so, if someone
can point me to the corresponding thread, that would
be great.

I have Leash/Kerberos on my laptop and it works
fine at Penn and also in other wireless environments
such as a local coffee shop. However, when I'm at
home, Kerberos 5 cannot access the Penn server for some
reason (the error message is below). I have a
Action Tec DSL modem/router using
Verizon DSL. My neighbor has a similar setup but
a different brand DSL modem/router. My wireless
does not work with Kerberos 5 on either DSL modem.

Here is the error message I get at home with the
same laptop that works fine with Kerberos 5
other wireless environments:

"Ticket initialization failed"

"Keberos 5: Cannot resolve network address for KDC in requested
realm (error 220)"

Tom Tenhave
University of Pennsylvania