Creation of principal without password

Fariba fariba at usc.edu
Fri Aug 18 20:02:36 EDT 2006

Your case is a good example. How do you allow principal creation with no
random keys? I hope this means with no password as well.  Also with
PKINIT, it is window's specific. right? And still user needs to have the
password set first and then PKINIT comes to picture. right? As admin we
want to create the users via a process and when user tries to login to
our system, it is asked to set its password and our admin process will
set the password in kerberos for them. But it seems kerberos cannot be a
place holder for username without password!? And if somehow it is how
does it handle when it comes to authentication? I see its chpassword
needs old and new password to be specified. Even if it lets you to say
the old password is null and does not return an error, then it is a
security hole, since anybody with that username and null password can
authenticate!? Thank you.