Creation of principal without password

Ken Raeburn raeburn at MIT.EDU
Thu Aug 17 12:52:21 EDT 2006

On Aug 17, 2006, at 12:38, Fariba wrote:
> Could you elaborate on that?
> Ken Raeburn wrote:
>> You'd need some sort of administrator access, either through the
>> kadmin protocol, or the set/change password protocol being worked on
>> in the IETF.

An administrator could change the password with kadmin's "cpw" command.

This is roughly the use case I had in mind:  At a school, a registrar
creates accounts (including Kerberos principals) for use by the
students in a class, with names constructed like <class
identifier><sequence number>, e.g., c101_12, with random keys (or, if
we allowed it, with no keys).  The realm is shared across a bunch of
classes.  The instructors for the class are given the ability to
change passwords for accounts, but not to create new accounts.  After
the first class, each student meets with the instructor or teaching
assistants, gets assigned an account id, and picks a password which
is set on the principal then and there by the instructor.  Probably
not the most convenient way of doing it, compared to, say, having the
registrar assign initial passwords and require that the passwords be
changed immediately, but it would work.

Another no-password case would be PKINIT; if the initial tickets are
always acquired via PKINIT, there's no need for a password.

Ken