unix active directory

Michael B Allen mba2000 at ioplex.com
Wed Aug 9 15:32:51 EDT 2006

Hi Shawn,

Active Directory is the name of Microsoft's KDC/LDAP server. So there's
no such thing as "Active Directory server on linux". You could setup a
KDC (MIT, Heimdal, etc) or an LDAP server (OpenLDAP, Fedora Directory
Server) on your Linux machine but even if you managed to get them
to work together well, you still wouldn't have anything like "Active
Directory". The closest thing to AD on linux would be Samba4 but that's
not quite ready for production environments.

Also, unless you have a specific question about Kerberos I think responses
here will be limited [1].

Mike

[1] I pleased to see that this list is very tolerant of posts about
"Active Directory". Apparently the OpenLDAP-software list automatically
censors any post containing the term (e.g. my sig).

On Wed, 9 Aug 2006 09:46:47 -0700 (PDT)
Shawn Wilson <ag4ve at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am interested in getting an Active Directory server setup on a linux (Ubuntu)
> server. I currently just have a samba file server, ntp, and dns setup on this
> server. I don't have any Windows 2k/XP servers here.
>
> I have found many howtos and other docs on kerberos, ldap, and samba. However
> my question is where to start. In theory, what I was looking for was a cookie
> cutter solution to getting an Active Directory server setup on Unix. However
> aside from that, I was wondering where I should start.
>
> One more point of woe for me is that I don't have a FQDN. I was advised that I
> could just make one on my dns and setup dhcp to make sure those hosts used my
> dns and be fine with that. I was wondering if this is possible?
>
> Also, though I have googled and have a bit more than a half dozen pages along
> this topic bookmarked, any resources that anyone could recommend would be
> appreciated.
>

> thanx
> darkhaven (aka - shawn wilson / ag4ve)

Michael B Allen