principal for ftp service ---> Can I use anything other thanftp/fqdn@REALM ?

Markus Moeller huaraz at moeller.plus.com
Sat Apr 22 10:07:25 EDT 2006

Sandy,
the ftp gsapi security extension is defined in rfc2228 and requires
ftp at hostname or host at hostname for the gssapi context which translates to a
ftp/fqdn at REALM or host/fwdn at REALM Kerberos SPN:

   The client must begin the authentication exchange by calling
   GSS_Init_Sec_Context, passing in 0 for input_context_handle
   (initially), and a targ_name equal to output_name from
   GSS_Import_Name called with input_name_type of Host-Based Service and
   input_name_string of "ftp at hostname" where "hostname" is the fully
   qualified host name of the server with all letters in lower case.
   (Failing this, the client may try again using input_name_string of
   "host at hostname".) The output_token must then be base 64 encoded and
   sent to the server as the argument to an ADAT command.  If
   GSS_Init_Sec_Context returns GSS_S_CONTINUE_NEEDED, then the client
   must expect a token to be returned in the reply to the ADAT command.
   This token must subsequently be passed to another call to
   GSS_Init_Sec_Context.  In this case, if GSS_Init_Sec_Context returns
   no output_token, then the reply code from the server for the previous
   ADAT command must have been 235.  If GSS_Init_Sec_Context returns
   GSS_S_COMPLETE, then no further tokens are expected from the server,
   and the client must consider the server authenticated.

You can use anything you want for your own client-server application.

Regards
Markus

news:1145684713.756954.268350 at v46g2000cwv.googlegroups.com...