Decrypt integrity check failed while changing password

Ken Hornstein kenh at cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Wed Sep 14 13:17:48 EDT 2005

>I had to do a bunch of account cleanups (~35,000 deletions) yesterday.
>Today, I'm getting the message 'change_password: Decrypt integrity
>check failed while changing password for "principal at GMU.EDU"' when
>trying to change a password.  If I create a new principal, I am able to
>change it's password.  I'm using kadmin.local -- we don't run kadmind.
>
>Anyone have an idea what I deleted that I shouldn't have?

I suspect that since you deleted kadmin/history, you're getting this error
from deep within the kadmin library when it's trying to access the password
history.  That's just a guess, though.  You're getting this message from
kadmin.local, right?

How you recover from this ... well, I have no idea, actually.  Did you
happen to save the old kadmind keytab?

--Ken