Decrypt integrity check failed while changing password

Brian Davidson bdavids1 at gmu.edu
Wed Sep 14 13:03:31 EDT 2005

I had to do a bunch of account cleanups (~35,000 deletions) yesterday.
Today, I'm getting the message 'change_password: Decrypt integrity
check failed while changing password for "principal at GMU.EDU"' when
trying to change a password.  If I create a new principal, I am able to
change it's password.  I'm using kadmin.local -- we don't run kadmind.

Anyone have an idea what I deleted that I shouldn't have?

I didn't delete K/M, or host/*.  I did delete krbtgt/* and kadmin/*,
but I wanted to re-key those anyways (that's my story, and I'm sticking
to it).  I'd clearly like to avoid doing this again in the future...

Thanks,

Brian Davidson
George Mason University