Kerberos support in Thunderbird

Jeffrey Altman jaltman2 at nyc.rr.com
Mon Sep 12 09:53:22 EDT 2005

Mark Sirota wrote:
> Make sure "Use Secure Authentication" is checked in the "Security
> Settings" tab for IMAP and POP (the "Never" radio button for secure
> connection works just fine). Nothing special needs to be done for SMTP
> (if Kerberos tokens exist, SMTP will take advantage of the credentials if
> possible).

Mark:

For e-mail, I believe that you really want the ability to specify
in the account setup the Kerberos principal name that should be used
for the client.

On Mac OS X and with KFW on Windows, you may also want to specify the
name of the ccache to use.

On Mac OS X and KFW, the Kerberos libraries will prompt the user for
credentials if there are not any.

What test is Thunderbird using to determine whether or not GSSAPI
authentication should be negotiated for a given account?

> For Windows, a special pref needs to be set to get MIT's Kerberos
> For Windows (and it's GSSAPI library) used instead of Microsoft's
> sspi.
>
> This line:
>
> user_pref("network.auth.use-sspi", false);
>
> Needs to be put into a user's "prefs.js" in their user profile dir,
> or use options | advanced | config to change the pref.

Jeffrey Altman