Errors when running ktpass on windows 2003

Douglas E. Engert deengert at anl.gov
Tue Nov 22 10:10:29 EST 2005

Celia Clark wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to generate a keytab file, but am encountering problems when
> running the ktpass command:
>
> ktpass -princ host.doman at DOMAIN -pass password -mapuser host -out
> c:/host_HTTP.keytab -mapOp set -ptype KRB5_NT_PRINCIPAL -crypto DES-CBC-CRC

Normally the principal is <service>/<FQDN>@<REALM>
It looks like you want a principal for a web server, so the
principal should be HTTP/host.domain at DOAMIN
(HTTP is uppercase.)

> Targeting domain controller: DOMAINCONTROLLER.domain
> Failed to set property "servicePrincipalName" to "domain" on Dn=...... 0x13
> WARNING: Unable to set SPN mapping data.
> If host already has an SPN mapping installed for host.domain, this is no
> cause of concern

Is it already defined? Use the AD tools to look at the account for host.
i.e. you have to have a AD acount which will then have a SPN asigned to it
which is the principal.

I believe the account can also have a UPN as well.