gmtime_r

Phil Dibowitz phil at usc.edu
Fri May 13 02:17:11 EDT 2005

On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 10:08:32PM -0400, Ken Raeburn wrote:
> On May 12, 2005, at 18:35, Phil Dibowitz wrote:
> >Hey folks,
> >
> >I'm compiling 5-1.4.1 on Solaris 9 and I get:
> >
> >  WARNING: Some functions that are needed for library thread
> >  WARNING: safety appear to be missing.
> >  WARNING:   missing thread-safe function: gmtime_r
> >  WARNING: Without these functions, the installed libraries
> >  WARNING: may not be thread-safe.
> >
> >This is _really_ strange since:
> >
> >1. gmtime_r() is part of time.h
> >2. This didn't happen on 1.3.3, I just went back and checked.
>
> >The config.log doesn't give any sort of useful information on how it
> >arrived
> >at this decision, it just says:
> >
> >  configure:8373: checking for gmtime_r
> >  configure:8435: result: no
>
> If that's all it shows, that probably means that on this invocation of
> configure, it picked up a setting of ac_cv_func_gmtime_r from
> config.cache, and thus didn't attempt to find it again.

<SNIP>

OK, I followed, erm, most of that. I think.

So, um, with my patch I get this:

  $ grep gmtime configure.output.log
  checking for gmtime_r... yes
  checking for gmtime_r... (cached) yes
  checking whether gmtime_r returns int... unknown -- ignoring gmtime_r
  $

But, I no longer get the warning. It's completely unclear to me if I'm
threadsafe in this circumstance, and in fact it seems like I _should_ get the
warning in this case - can you explain why I don't?

Also note that I'm not using gcc, I'm using the Forte SparCompilers from Sun -
version 7.

Anyway, reversing the patch and trying your CPPFLAGS idea, I solve that
problem:

  $ grep gmtime_r configure.output.log
  checking for gmtime_r... yes
  checking for gmtime_r... (cached) yes
  checking whether gmtime_r returns int... no

But I also get a lot of this type stuff:

  configure: WARNING: sys/ptyvar.h: present but cannot be compiled
  configure: WARNING: sys/ptyvar.h: check for missing prerequisite headers?
  configure: WARNING: sys/ptyvar.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result
  configure: WARNING: regexp.h: present but cannot be compiled
  configure: WARNING: regexp.h: check for missing prerequisite headers?
  configure: WARNING: regexp.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result

which I assume could be fixed with a CFLAGS=-D_REENTRANT, but that seems to be
if that's the case then none of this stuff was being "found" before (or rather
it was found but didn't work right without -D_REENTERANT so autoconf treated
it as if it wasn't there.

So is the best bet to configure with CFLAGS and CPPFLAGS? Or to use a patch
such as the one I made (of which I still don't understand the output from),
or... ?

Thanks.
--
Phil Dibowitz