Porting k5start to Heimdal

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Wed May 4 14:16:31 EDT 2005

Hello folks,

I maintain a modified version of kinit that can run as a daemon to
maintain a ticket cache for another application and can also run a
particular command and renew credentials until the command exits (using a
keytab).  We use MIT Kerberos v5 at Stanford for almost everything, so
that's what it was developed against.

Recently, I've had some interest in it from people using Heimdal.  I tried
to port it, but I'm afraid that it is having problems outside of the scope
of my experience, claiming that it can't find keys in the keytab or
returning bad integrity or bad address errors when using the Heimdal
libraries.

kstart is covered under an MIT-style license and is at:

    <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/software/kstart/>

Any help with the porting that anyone could offer would be greatly
appreciated.  I'd really like to support Heimdal as well as MIT.  Note
that right now, you need KTH Kerberos as well or need to hack on the
Makefile a little bit; the next version will have a configure option to
disable Kerberos v4 support.

Also, any hints on how to do K5 error handling in a way that works with
both Heimdal and MIT would be greatly appreciated.