Viewing/printing tex documents

Ken Raeburn raeburn at MIT.EDU
Fri Mar 25 13:50:20 EST 2005

On Mar 25, 2005, at 09:28, Rachel Elizabeth Dillon wrote:
> I also noticed a couple of things about the documentation tarball that
> might
> be of more general interest:
> (1) the root makefile seems to depend on the source tree being
> available

Yes.  Offhand, I know we pull in the man pages for some programs into
the manual; there might be other dependencies.

> (2) the LaTeX documents are LaTeX2.09 and not LaTeX2E (Kerberos is
> old. Wait,
>     "mature." Let's call it mature.)
> Are these things that anyone actually cares about fixing? If so, I
> would be
> happy to put in a couple of hours and submit a patch.

Well, the docs are certainly old.  Some bits have gotten updated in our
tree, but the API stuff tends not to be, unfortunately.  If I had vast
amounts of time to put into it, I'd investigate putting the API docs
for various functions into the source tree, and have them automatically
extracted at build time to make the docs along with the code.  With
something like DocBook, it should also be possible to do some
cross-checking between the documented interface and the real one in the
code and the list of functions in the installed header file; though,
last time I looked at DocBook, it couldn't format our function
prototypes nicely at all.

I'm not clear on how you're thinking about fixing #1, and I kind of
suspect we want it the way it is.  But updating the docs to work better
with a modern LaTeX would certainly be a good thing.

Ken