A Kerberos authentication scheme.

Michael Norwick ctx37888 at centurytel.net
Wed Mar 23 04:05:49 EST 2005

I apologize if this is off topic. I have been subscribed to this list
for two years and have
archived most of the posts.  I am inexperienced at implementing an
authentication
scheme beyond using PAM/OpenSSH/OpenSSL, and various flavors of file and
filesystem
encryption.  I wish to move to a stronger security model that would
implement Kerberos
with one of the developing (authenticated?) filesystems eg. AFS, Coda,
NFSv4 on Linux
and OpenBSD with support for Windows clients.  For the size of networks
I administer,
2-20 node lans in small business and education, protection with
environments such as
SELinux and LIDS have proved too visible to the users.  I would like to
provide something
more transparent.  I have a small 5 node test lan on which I have built
and installed Kerberos
with AFS, and am now preparing to test NFSv4.  In reviewing the posts on
this mailing
list, it appears that a many of you work with LARGE networks with many
kdc's, realms and
educated users.  My question is; Am I forsaking the KISS paradigm and
trying to dig a post
hole with a bulldozer or, does Kerberos/AFS/whatever, scale down well to
meet my current
needs?  To be able to 'standardize' on an authentication method would
make my life a lot
easier.  I guess I'm looking for krb/afs is to authentication as LAMP is
to web services?

Michael