Kgina.DLL file missing. Please Help.

Walter Weiss wuw1 at psu.edu
Fri Mar 18 16:34:09 EST 2005

msgina.dll is the way that windows handles authentication.  There is also a way to replace msgina.dll with another dll to handle authentication.  My guess is that you replaced it with kgina.dll.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/administration/security/msgina.asp

My suggestion is that if you have a registry backup to use that.  Otherwise try BartPE and make a rescue disk to go in and manually fix the registry.

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

You will be able to use that disk to edit the registry key to send it back to the correct value.

Microsoft also suggests the following steps.

Recovering from a GINA-related System Failure

Recovery is possible without reinstalling the system. This requires having a boot disk, or equivalent workaround, that will boot the system without using a normal hard disk boot.

To recover from this situation:

1.Boot the auxiliary system-potentially by using a boot disk.

2.Go to the System32 folder where the new, failed GINA DLL is located.

3.Move the failed GINA to a different folder.

4.Copy the original MSGINA DLL in the System32 folder and rename it with the name of the failed GINA.

5.Restart the computer and the original MSGINA DLL will load under the new name. At this point fixes can be made in the modified GINA.

Walter Weiss
Message Encoded with ROT26 - circumvention will be prosecuted!