Kerb error 52

Douglas E. Engert deengert at anl.gov
Thu Mar 17 10:14:55 EST 2005

Ethan Bearman wrote:
> I'm getting kerberos error 52 when I try to kinit from hp-ux (11.0
> running on 9000 series system) to our Windows 2003 AD domain.  It works
> for certain admin accounts that have few group memberships, but not for
> regular users.
>
> I understand this to be due to the large PAC headers Windows is using
> for authorization data, which causes Windows to use TCP rather than
> UDP.  Apparently versions of MIT kerberos earlier than 1.3.1 do not
> support TCP.

Correct.

> HP no longer supports hp-ux 11.0, so their updated (1.3.5) kerberos
> client is for 11i only.  Will kerberos 1.4 work properly on hp-ux 11.0?
> I read the install instructions from MIT, and have attempted to compile
> only the client binaries, but when I executed the steps outlined, I got
> a lot of compiler errors of the sort:
>
> cpp: "../../include/k5-thread.h", line 33: error 4036: Can't open
> include file 'autoconf.h'.
> cpp: "../../include/k5-thread.h", line 398: warning 2013: Unknown
> preprocessing directive.
>
> Can someone offer some help on compiling the client only on hp-ux?
> Which compiler, etc.?  Or is there a pre-compiled distribution for hp-ux
> 11.0?

I have compiled krb5-1.4.0 on 10.20, 11.0, 11i and
IA64 11.23 but done almost no testing.

On 11.0 and 10.20 we added --disable-thread-support and
also added to the CPPFLAGS -D__hpux
This get its to compile but on 11.0 it failes with an
assertion in  krb5_libinit.c:line 60
I have not gotten back to see why.

We run krb5-1.3.x on HPs.  So one option for now is to run the
last MIT 1.3.5 release on 11.0.

We use gcc-3.3.2 with the vendor's ld.