Kerb error 52

Ethan Bearman ebearman at usc.edu
Tue Mar 15 13:03:41 EST 2005

I'm getting kerberos error 52 when I try to kinit from hp-ux (11.0 running
on 9000 series system) to our Windows 2003 AD domain.  It works for certain
admin accounts that have few group memberships, but not for regular users.

I understand this to be due to the large PAC headers Windows is using for
authorization data, which causes Windows to use TCP rather than
UDP.  Apparently versions of MIT kerberos earlier than 1.3.1 do not support
TCP.

HP no longer supports hp-ux 11.0, so their updated (1.3.5) kerberos client
is for 11i only.  Will kerberos 1.4 work properly on hp-ux 11.0?  I read
the install instructions from MIT, and have attempted to compile only the
client binaries, but when I executed the steps outlined, I got a lot of
compiler errors of the sort:

cpp: "../../include/k5-thread.h", line 33: error 4036: Can't open include
file 'autoconf.h'.
cpp: "../../include/k5-thread.h", line 398: warning 2013: Unknown
preprocessing directive.

Can someone offer some help on compiling the client only on hp-ux?  Which
compiler, etc.?  Or is there a pre-compiled distribution for hp-ux 11.0?

Many thanks.

Ethan Bearman
Systems Analyst
USCard Operations