Newbie: "Server not found in Kerberos database"

Donn Cave donn at u.washington.edu
Tue Mar 15 15:45:28 EST 2005

In article <d17eap$ejf$1 at panix5.panix.com>,
 urban at panix.com (Michael Urban) wrote:
> The problem comes when I attempt to do the same thing with the same
> version of OpenSSH built with the same options on a Solaris machine.
> In that case, the server logs a "Server not found in Kerberos database"
> message and gives up.  I have looked at all the obvious candidates
> (wrong DNS entry, disagreement as to host name in /etc/hosts and
> DNS, etc) and come up empty.
>
> Unfortunately, the log messages do not tell me _what_ principal it
> was trying to find in krb5.keytab (I assume that this is where
> the mismatch or missing entry is).

I would expect ssh to acquire a ticket for the remote host
service.  You can see your tickets with "klist", so that will
give you one side of the story.

Speaking of /etc/hosts, the host's own name as it comes out of
its own /etc/hosts has to match the hosts name as it comes out
of DNS.  So the fully qualified name must be listed first, not
second after the short name.

   Donn Cave, donn at u.washington.edu