Assertion failuers

Jeffrey Altman jaltman2 at nyc.rr.com
Sat Jul 9 17:34:13 EDT 2005

fariba wrote:

> i work with phil as well. i was wondering what are the proc/con of using
> these flags:
>
> --disable-shared --enable-static --disable-threads
>
> in solaris 2.8 or higher?
> we have an application that since we upgraded to  this version of
> kerberos, it occasionally core dumps on solaris 2.9. the app is a 2.6
> compiled and linked app and  the dbx does not analyze the core properly.
> i was wondering the use of above flags (specially the disable threads)
> might have an effect this problem. we will be away from 2.6 soon though
> (so we do not compile and link on 2.6 so the executable be runnable on
> all the versions) but until then i need to resolve the problem. i
> appreciate your input.

--disable-shared will turn off the building of shared libraries

--enable-static will turn on the building of static libraries

--disable-threads will turn off support for building multi-threaded
applications.

In my opinion, it is best if you build your libraries and applications
for the specific version of the OS you are using.  Backward
compatibility only goes so far.

Jeffrey Altman