Getting single DES TGT[was Re: KDC: upgrade to 3DES]

Craig Huckabee huck at spawar.navy.mil
Thu Apr 7 17:14:05 EDT 2005

Hi all,

   I saw this discussion on krb-dev on moving to 3DES support and wanted
to ask a similar question (hopefully more appropriately on this list).

   We're trying to use the Advanced Security Option in Oracle 9.x/10.x
to enable Kerberos authentication - unfortunately, they don't support
3DES keys yet and won't for the near future.  Our KDC is MIT 1.3.6
running on Linux.

   I've been trying to force clients to ask only for des-cbc-crc TGTs,
but haven't been able to do so.  A getprinc on the krbtgt principal for
my realm looks like:

    Key: vno 3, Triple DES cbc mode with HMAC/sha1, no salt
    Key: vno 3, DES cbc mode with CRC-32, no salt
    Key: vno 3, DES cbc mode with CRC-32, Version 4

But even when I set:

   default_tgs_enctypes = des-cbc-crc
   default_tkt_enctypes = des-cbc-crc

on the client, I get a des-cbc-crc session key, but a 3des tkt.  This
happens with an MIT 1.3.6 kinit on Linux and Solaris.

   Is the KDC just picking the first key type from the list of available
encryption types, despite what the client asks for ?  Any suggestions
for testing this theory (I've done some ethereal sniffs which lead me to
think the KDC is at fault)?

   Help, advice, even flames welcome at this point,
   Craig

PS  If you work from Oracle and are reading this, get back to work and
update your Kerberos base code!