Kerberized authentication with SecureCRT 4.1.8

Douglas E. Engert deengert at anl.gov
Thu Sep 30 19:43:27 EDT 2004

rachel elizabeth dillon wrote:

> I have an existing MIT Kerberos realm with Kerberized SSH logins over
> GSSAPI using method external-keyx. I want to be able to connect to this
> realm from a Windows machine. The owner of the realm has a SecureCRT
> license, so I started there. With MIT KfW 2.6.5 installed on the machine
> (which is running Windows 2003), I am able to make a connection which gets
> me a host ticket and the pre-login banner but then fails with an error of
> "GSSAPI authentication with the server could not be completed." Running
> an sshd -d -d -d on the server machine, I see that it tries to connect
> first with method "none," which tries to use PAM and fails (PAM is not
> configured on this server past the defaults), and then tries to use method
> "gssapi," which fails as follows:

It should work, I have used SecureCRT-4.1.3 with KfW to OpenSSH sshd versions 3.1,
through 3.9. Note that the gssapi code was changed to gssapi-with-mic
as there was a security problem. SecureCRT should work with either.
Earlier veriosns of OpenSSH with Simon's patch could do the gssapi external
key. The 3.8 and 3.9 dont have that, but have the auth method gsspia-with-mic.

Since your trace says gssapi rather then gssapi-with-mic, it might be
out of date.

  What version of the OPenSSH are you rinning?

> Failed none for ptadmin from 10.1.16.31 port 1733 ssh2
> debug1: userauth-request for user ptadmin service ssh-connection method gssapi
> debug1: attempt 1 failures 1
> debug2: input_userauth_request: try method gssapi
> debug3: mm_request_send entering: type 28
> debug3: monitor_read: checking request 28
> debug3: mm_request_send entering: type 29
> debug3: mm_request_receive entering
> debug3: mm_request_receive_expect entering: type 29
> debug3: mm_request_receive entering
> Failed gssapi for ptadmin from 10.1.16.31 port 1733 ssh2
> Received disconnect from 10.1.16.31: 14: Unable to authenticate using any of the configured authentication methods.
>
> A successful request from another Solaris machine with OpenSSH and krb5
> support looks like this:
>
> Failed none for ptadmin from 10.1.16.234 port 54138 ssh2
> debug1: userauth-request for user ptadmin service ssh-connection method external-keyx
> debug1: attempt 1 failures 1
> debug2: input_userauth_request: try method external-keyx
> debug3: mm_request_send entering: type 26
> debug3: mm_request_receive_expect entering: type 27
> debug3: mm_request_receive entering
> debug3: monitor_read: checking request 26
> Authorized to ptadmin, krb5 principal ptadmin at IC.COM (krb5_kuserok)
> debug3: mm_answer_gss_userok: sending result 1
> debug3: mm_request_send entering: type 27
> debug2: pam_acct_mgmt() = 0
> debug3: mm_ssh_gssapi_userok: user authenticated
> Accepted external-keyx for ptadmin from 10.1.16.234 port 54138 ssh2
> debug3: mm_send_keystate: Sending new keys: 7b3c0 81910
> debug3: mm_newkeys_to_blob: converting 7b3c0
> debug3: mm_newkeys_to_blob: converting 81910
> debug3: mm_send_keystate: New keys have been sent
> debug3: mm_send_keystate: Sending compression state
> debug3: mm_request_send entering: type 38
> debug3: mm_send_keystate: Finished sending state
> debug1: PAM establishing creds
> Accepted gssapi for ptadmin from 10.1.16.234 port 54138 ssh2
>
> It looks to me like I either want SecureCRT to connect via "external-keyx,"
> or I want to convince the sshd to parse "gssapi" in a different way.

OpenSSH-3.8 and 3.9 can do the gssapi-with-mic and so can SecureCRT.

> I would also be interested in solutions that involve another SSH client for
> Windows, if that client were free.

Putty-0.54 with patches can do gssapi-with-mic