Kerberized telnetd: -a valid option & eight char limit on account names

ROSS, Colin rossc at parliament.uk
Thu Oct 21 09:37:10 EDT 2004

While testing use of the Vintela.com product VAS, I found that I could
not get the -a valid argument to telnetd to work. I had to regress to
the position of removing the -a valid argument from telnetd, whilst
using the -aFx arguments with the M$ telnet client. A pity because I
hoped to make telnet connections to my Solaris 9 Sparc box with needing
to supply account names and passwords. I am at the position of not
needing to supply account names right now.
I also found that using the telentd that came with the Kerberos 1.3.5 I
compiled left me with a problem arising from the use of long (> eight
char) account names. My own account works fine, since it is quite short.
Other users have been unable to telnet to the Solaris 9 box because
their login is stumped when the account is a long name. For example,
jonesj will work, but williamsmithf will not. This is a real pain as all
account names are managed in M$ Active Directory product and some of the
names are quite long (aren't people a bore, having such names).
My point is, how can I re-compile Kerberos/telnetd to build in support
for long account names? Secondly, what are the requisite steps I must
take to permit the -a valid argument to telnetd to work? Is this keytab
related?
Best
Colin
PS Thx again for the previous assist re. 64 bit kerberos compile- works
fine

Colin Ross
Readers & Technical Services Librarian
Library
House of Lords
London
SW1A 0PW

0207 219 2511

UK Parliament Disclaimer:
This e-mail is confidential to the intended recipient. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender and delete it from your system. Any unauthorised use, disclosure, or copying is not permitted. This e-mail has been checked for viruses, but no liability is accepted for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail.