Kerberos behind load balancer?

Tillman Hodgson tillman at seekingfire.com
Wed Oct 6 13:15:16 EDT 2004

On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 12:07:23PM -0500, Kasundra, Digant wrote:
> I agree that the load is not an issue.  But with out DNS round-robin,
> and without the load-balancer, we'd have to arbitrarily point our
> systems and services at one of the slaves.  If that slave goes down,
> we'd have to scramble to see who all was pointing to it and change
> them to point to the other place.

Anycast. Kerberos auth is UDP, after all.

> DNS round-robin would be best, but some options for those of us with
> our hands-tied would be nice.  I think we may have a working solution
> although we are still testing it, and it did require a code patch to
> allow listening to the loopback.

Round-robin sucks. It means that if something goes down it fails 50% of
the time.

DNS hackery to do background checks and so forth is a bit better, but
not standardized or easy to implement.

-T

--
"In the beginning, the file was without form, and void; and emptiness
 was upon the face of the bits. And the Fingers of the Author moved upon