Generic unknown RC/IO error while verifying initial ticket

Jeremy Allison jeremy.allison at hp.com
Tue Nov 30 18:06:55 EST 2004

Sam Hartman wrote:
> login.krb5 is trying to write out the replay cache.  Possibly, you
> compiled login.krb5 on a system with /var/tmp but then ran it on a
> system without that directory or something like that.
>
> You can use strace, truss or your appropriate os-specific tool to see
> what filename it is trying to open.

Ok, I'm going to let off some steam here... :-)

<rant mode on>
This is what drives me *nuts* about krb5 debugging for customers.
WHY DOESN'T THE ERROR MESSAGE GIVE SOME DETAILS ABOUT WHAT IT IS
TRYING TO DO ! For example, the filename it was trying to open and
what the error code was ?
</rant mode off>

Seriously, the krb5 code is *full* of this sort of thing. To quote
Eddie Izzard "an error of type 2256 has occurred". What does this
mean ? Did it ship 2255 errors just to get to this one ? This makes
"no sense" :-) :-).

The MIT krb5 error reporting code needs some serious overhaul to fix
this sort of bug. No I/O error should *ever* omit the filename. The
Samba lists are full of people trying to deal with basic simple krb5
config errors that they find impossible to debug because of this sort
of stuff.

Ok, I'll calm down now... take a stress pill, think things over some
more... :-).

Jeremy.