Kerberizing a non-kerberized telnet client

Tim Mooney mooney at dogbert.cc.ndsu.NoDak.edu
Fri May 14 15:55:15 EDT 2004

In regard to: Re: Kerberizing a non-kerberized telnet client, Donn Cave...:

> In article
> <3EF5A4B95135C549B761B73B2901429401D9CEA3 at ffx-exchng1.pecs.com>,
> Andrew.Burkhardt at PEC.com ("Burkhardt, Andrew") wrote:
>>   We have setup a test Windows Server 2003 Domain/KDC.  We have a Windows
>> 2000 Professional computer using the kerberized Ktelnet client, connecting
>> to a Red Hat 9 Linux box running kerberized telnetd, and successfully
>> authenticating using Kerberos.  Basically, everything is running correctly
>> in the environment.  The problem is we use a non-kerberized telnet client in
>> the field.  We are heavily dependant on this client, meaning we can not
>> change clients and fyi, there are no kerberized upgrade for this client.  Is
>> there a way to "wrap" a non-kerberized telnet client so it will use kerberos
>> authentication?  Has anyone had any experience with this problem?  I am
>> looking for any suggestions. Many thanks!
>
> I don't recall ever hearing of a Kerberos telnet wrapper, but
> it could be worth a look.  We did something like that here with
> FTP, for the sake of web development tools that use it, and it
> seems to have worked out fairly well.  You'd have to know something
> about the telnet protocol and how Kerberos fits in, which I guess
> you could get from the MIT source.

If "the field" machines are Windows boxes, I would think that

  	https://sourceforge.net/projects/kerberizer/

would be worth a look.

Tim
--