what to do with KERBEROS.ORG? (Re: FAQ 2.0 as of 8/18/2000)

Paul Vixie vixie at sa.vix.com
Mon Mar 22 13:41:37 EST 2004

Some years ago in a fit of savagery, I registered some domains at
random, including KERBEROS.ORG, with no clear idea of what to do
with them.

The other day I saw a message with the following Subject:...

	Kerberos FAQ, v2.0 (last modified 8/18/2000)

...and suddenly it dawned on me that while implementors (MIT, Heimdal,
and Microsoft come to mind) have quite a lot of online material about
Kerberos, and IETF has quite a bit of online protocol specifications
for Kerberos, there is no active "user's group" or "home page" for it.

I asked Ken Hornstein (editor of above-mentioned FAQ) why it was nearly
four years out of date and he admitted that he lacked the time and
energy needed to edit and publish this.  So I suggested forming a "core
team", giving it a web site, and giving it the KERBEROS.ORG domain name.
Since Ken did not immediately flame me for my impudence, I'm posting here.

Note that I have nothing to contribute except the domain name and maybe
some shell accounts on a web server or maybe some colo space for a web
server.  The actual core team would have to be made up of other people.
The only thing I'm sure this team should do is make an HTML version of
the FAQ and then keep it up to date, but it would perhaps find other
tasks according to the ambition of the participants.

I'm posting this via Usenet (comp.protocols.kerberos) in hopes that it
will get back to the "mailing list" through some gateway somewhere.

If you think this is a great or rotten idea, or if you're willing or
interested in serving on a "core team" for the kerberos FAQ and web site,
then send Ken Hornstein <kenh at cmf.nrl.navy.mil> e-mail and he'll summarize.
--
Paul Vixie