MIT-Heimdal interop issues

Digant Kasundra digant at uta.edu
Tue Mar 23 17:37:45 EST 2004

Hello everyone,

Has anyone here had the experience of getting MIT Kerb5 and Heimdal to
interoperate?  We are testing out MIT KDCs and we have compiled our OpenLDAP
machines against Heimdal.

I have already found that kadmin from heimdal doesn't talk to MIT (as was
expected).  But I'm also having problems with OpenLDAP just not liking the
keys from MIT KDC.  If I specify the encryption type when doing kinit, it
will work just fine, but without it, it doesn't see a valid entry in the
keytab file.  When I have a ticket and I attempt to use OpenLDAP and bind
using SASL, it craps out with Invalid Credentials, so I'm assuming its
having the same problem (and I can't tell it what encryption type to use).
This is just my immediate issue.  Can anyone help?

I'm assuming I'll also have other issues down the line with MIT/Heimdal
interop.  Can someone tell me of their experiences?

-- DK