Different Services, Different Realms, but One Host

Tim Alsop Tim.Alsop at CyberSafe.Ltd.UK
Tue Mar 9 12:36:06 EST 2004

Hi,

Perhaps I missunderstand the question, but it is possible to use multiple realms on a specific host. The naming of the service principals (keys for which would be stored in a key table) would look something like :

host/server1.domain.com at REALM1
service1/server1.domain.com at REALM1
service2/server1.domain.com at REALM2
service3/server1.domain.com at REALM3

Essentially, the key in the key table which would be acquired by a specific application (a Kerberos service) maintains the shared-secret between the service and the realm.

A user can be in one realm with one password. The services can be in multiple realms. When an application is run by a user and requests a service ticket it will get the ticket from the appropriate KDC for the realm.

The part which is perhaps a little confusing is the approach used by a kerberos client to determine the KDC that issues the service ticket. Normally, the service ticket request is sent to the realm where the initial user's ticket (tgt) was issued, and then a cross realm tgt is returned for the service realm so that a service ticket can then be requested from the correct realm. The service ticket is then sent to the service and decrypted with the key in the key table in order to determine the principal name of the user.

So, in summary - having multiple realms works well, but is more complex. The simplest approach is to use one realm for everthing, but this does not have the granularity that some implementations require. It is nice to have the option to use either approach to protect multiple applications on a specific host !!

Regards, Tim.