handling of kerberos error in win2k

Jeffrey Altman jaltman2 at nyc.rr.com
Mon Jun 21 09:36:09 EDT 2004

When KDC_ERR_PREAUTH_REQUIRED is returned by the KDC,
the client will examine the KRB_ERROR data to determine
if the client understands the desired type of pre-authentication
data which is required.  If it does, it will simply return the
necessary information.  If it does and requires user input
the Kerberos SSP/AP will prompt the user for the necessary
input.  If the required pre-auth data cannot be provided the
Kerberos SSP/AP will return a failure code to the LSA which
in turn will log to the event log.

Jeffrey Altman