handling of kerberos error in win2k

Lara Adianto m1r4cle_26 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 21 07:50:59 EDT 2004

hi,

I found a little light in my search, but haven't found
a complete answer yet:

When a user invoke the SAS sequence, winlogon will
call GINA function: WlxWkstatLockedSAS, which in turn
will call LsaLogonUser.
LsaLogonUser does the authentication. If the
authentication fails, it may return for example
STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE (if username or password are
wrong), STATUS_ACCOUNT_RESTRICTION (for example if the
username and password are correct but the password has
expired). In the later case, the LsaLogonUser will set
SubStatus to STATUS_PASSWORD_EXPIRED. (I simplify the
whole process to my own needs by the way, it should be
more complicated than this)

So I conclude (correct me if I'm wrong) that when the
KDC returns KDC_ERR_PREAUTH_REQUIRED, LsaLogonUser
will simply return STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE to GINA or
STATUS_ACCOUNT_RESTRICTION  when the KDC returns
KDC_ERR_KEY_EXPIRED.

In case of KDC_ERR_PREAUTH_REQUIRED, is there any way
for GINA to know that the exact error code, and not
just STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE ?

-lara-

=====