Solaris9 server as client

Douglas E. Engert deengert at anl.gov
Sun Jun 20 16:59:05 EDT 2004

Judi Buff wrote:

> I am on the domain tamug.edu trying to setup a Solaris9 server
> (tarpon.tamug.edu) as a client authenticating on KDC's in the realm
> TAMU.EDU.  In the krb5.conf file under [domain_realm] section I have
> added the following for my server's name '.tarpon.tamug.edu=TAMU.EDU and
> tarpon.tamug.edu=TAMU.EDU.

The [domain_realm] section is used by a client to determine the realm of a service.
You problem of the kinit not finding the realm of the user is not related to the
[domain_realm].

> When I use kinit username to connect, it comes back with the following
> error:
>
> % kinit judith-a-buff
> Password for judith-a-buff at TAMU.EDU:
> kinit: Cannot contact any KDC for requested realm while getting initial
> credentials

This says it can not find a [realm] section for realm TAMU.EDU or the kdc(s)
listed are not responding. Or it could not find DNS SRV records for the KDC(s).
Or the KDCs are not responding.

> The username and password being used have been verified as correct.  Can
> you tell me what this means?

How did you verify this?