Help needed. Cannot run kadmin. Error msg: kadmin: Communication failure with server while initializing kadmin interface

debbie debbie debbiechyes at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 26 03:22:51 EST 2004

Dear all,

Hi there. I quite new in Kerberos. Wish to set up a
simple single sign-on systems. Currently using RH9.0
kerberos rpm packages to setup the KDC. Using
/etc/hosts to resolve the name. Need help as I'm stuck
when trying to run kadmin. Tried googled for some
suggestions but was rather confused on different sets
of instruction given by different websites.

Below are the configuration file and error messages:

1. /etc/krb5.conf

[libdefaults]
 ticket_lifetime = 24000
 default_realm = EXAMPLE.COM
 dns_lookup_realm = false
 dns_lookup_kdc = false

[realms]
 EXAMPLE.COM = {
  kdc = alpine.example.com:88
  admin_server = alpine.example.com:749
  default_domain = example.com
 }

[domain_realm]
 .example.com = EXAMPLE.COM
 example.com = EXAMPLE.COM

[kdc]
 profile = /var/kerberos/krb5kdc/kdc.conf

2. /krb5kdc/kdc.conf

[kdcdefaults]
 acl_file = /var/kerberos/krb5kdc/kadm5.acl
 dict_file = /usr/share/dict/words
 admin_keytab = /var/kerberos/krb5kdc/kadm5.keytab
 v4_mode = nopreauth

[realms]
 EXAMPLE.COM = {
  master_key_type = des-cbc-crc
  supported_enctypes = des3-cbc-sha1:normal ....
 }

I'd managed to create the master key and save it in
the stash file. Also managed to run krb5kdc command
without file as I'd checked the kdc log file. Able to
use kadmin.local command to create admin/admin
principle and when i run klist -f, below are the
output displayed:

[root at alpine root]# klist -f
Ticket cache: FILE:/tmp/krb5cc_0
Default principal: admin/admin at EXAMPLE.COM

Valid starting     Expires            Service
principal
02/25/04 15:15:33  02/26/04 01:15:33
krbtgt/EXAMPLE.COM at EXAMPLE.COM
        Flags: I
02/25/04 15:16:20  02/26/04 01:15:33  host at EXAMPLE.COM
        Flags: T
02/25/04 15:16:34  02/26/04 01:15:33
admin/admin at EXAMPLE.COM
        Flags: T

Kerberos 4 ticket cache: /tmp/tkt0
klist: You have no tickets cached

I'd believe the ticket have already been created
locally and managed to run kinit admin/admin
successfully. However, when I run kadmin command,
below are the error displayed:

[root at alpine root]# kadmin
Authenticating as principal admin/admin at EXAMPLE.COM
with password.
Enter password:
kadmin: Communication failure with server while
initializing kadmin interface

Thanks for reviewing this mail. Really appreciate if
anyone can help on this matter. Thanks.

Warmest regards,
debbie