How to obtain a keytab for a Windows application server?

Sam Hartman hartmans at MIT.EDU
Fri Feb 13 16:39:28 EST 2004

    >> "kadmin" is a KDC administration tool.  KfW does not include
    >> "kadmin" because KfW does not support the hosting of a KDC on
    Colin> Windows. Especially given that (unless I'm mistaken) kadmin
    Colin> is the recommended way of securely getting a keytab onto an
    Colin> application server machine.

That depends on how secure the remote application server machine is.
I'm unwilling to type my admin password into most application server
machines.

I'd probably use kadmin to get a key on my Kerberos server, Kerberos
slaves, or LDAP servers.  I'd tend to use kadmin on a secure
workstation and scp (making sure not to forward credentials) to get
keytabs to most other machines.

--Sam