Authentication In Redhat

Thomas A. La Porte tlaporte at anim.dreamworks.com
Thu Feb 12 15:02:08 EST 2004

James,

Douglas has outlined pretty much what we do at our site which is
extremely effective. We manage well over 1000 machines, all of
which have a .k5login file in the root user's home directory.

What you need is a common .k5login file which contains the
principals of each member of your team who is allowed to
administer these machines. When one member leaves the team, you
remove their name from the common .k5login file.

Once the file is set up, you can login as root without knowing a
root password, provided you have properly authenticated yourself
as one of the principals listed in root's .k5login file.

For example:

host1 [~](SHARK)(100)> klist
Ticket cache: FILE:/tmp/krb5cc_9999
Default principal: tlaporte at EXAMPLE.COM

02/12/04 12:00:01  02/13/04 12:00:01  krbtgt/EXAMPLE.COM at EXAMPLE.COM
host1 [~](SHARK)(101)> ssh host2 -l root
Last login: Mon Feb  9 23:44:35 2004 from host1.example.com
[root at host2 ~]#

Hope that helps.

 -- Tom

Thomas A. La Porte, Dreamworks SKG