Authentication In Redhat

James Walthall jwaltha at us.ibm.com
Thu Feb 12 14:00:46 EST 2004

My apologies for the bad example. I drafted it up rather quickly.
I guess my real question wasnt stated very clearly.

We have around 1000 machines here that will be running the exact
same configuration, and will be used for load testing.
Every time an employee comes or goes, we have to change the password
on each machine for security purposes. This obviously
is very tedious when running a windows platform without
a dns authentication. We want to convert all of these
same or similar hardware machines to redhate linux 8, and
have them authenticate using kerberos.

We need ONE user that can login using the same user name
and password from any machine, namely Administrator and the password.
The goal is the be able to just change the password in the
Master KDC Database instead of manually going machine
to machine changing the password. This is my job...

I would like to set up kerberos so that there is 1 user with 1
password with all priviledges that root has. That user will be
Administrator. I would like for my team members to be able
to login from any machine using this same user name and
password, and for kerberos to issue a token. Using red hat
8 configuration, how do you think I would go about doing this?
I'm learning linux, but coming from a windows background.
The simpler this can be explained, the better. Thanks in advance...

Regards,

James Walthall Jr
IBM - Host Integration Server Test IDD and BETA
Outside: (919) 254-8869
Tieline: 444-8869
Research Triangle Park
Raleigh, North Carolina