rename host?

Ken Raeburn raeburn at MIT.EDU
Thu Feb 5 18:07:03 EST 2004

On Thursday, Feb 5, 2004, at 17:57 US/Eastern, Jud Bishop wrote:
> I am trying to rename a host, my slave server.
>
> Removed the old name from DNS, and can no longer ping the old name from
> the master.

Did you change the PTR record?

> And this is in the log:
> Feb  5 16:42:43 blues krb5kdc[1805]: AS_REQ (3 etypes {16 3 1})
> 172.16.1.56(88): SERVER_NOT_FOUND: host/blues.eamc.net at EAMC.NET for
> host/mail.eamc.net at EAMC.NET, Server not found in Kerberos database
>
> It is still looking for the old hostname, mail.

The MIT Kerberos code maps name->address->name as a way of trying to
find the "canonical" name of the host.  (It's the wrong way to go about
it, but we've got other things to fix in that area, and we'd rather
wait and go through only one round of breaking things for anyone doing
"interesting" things with their DNS setups.)

Ken