Kerberos error 52 (0x34) when using kinit

Douglas E. Engert deengert at anl.gov
Fri Dec 10 09:57:19 EST 2004

Wells, Bruce wrote:

> Hello All,
> I'm getting the above error when I try to get the initial ticket
> using kinit. The KDC is Windows 2003 and the client is running
> on linux. My understanding of kerberos and the KDC in particular
> is that if the KDC can't send the response back via UDP it will switch
> over to TCP. My question is this: Does the client need to
> programmactically
> take an action if it recieves this error or will this be taken care of
> "under
> the hood"? Also the client side (linux), is there a way to force the
> communication
> to occur using TCP?

Depends on the release of the Kerberos. MIT 1.2.x did not support TCP,
1.3.x does. Its a recent addition to Java as well. Theylibs wil switch
as needed.

The krb5.conf [libdefaults] udp_preference_limit = nnn
can be used to tell the client to use TCP if the message is over nnn
bytes. Setting to 1 in effect says try TCP first.

The problem is the ticket is large due to the PAC being included from AD.
(IIRC) W2003 servers have a lower cut over size then W2000 servers.