Generic unknown RC/IO error while verifying initial ticket

Sam Hartman hartmans at MIT.EDU
Wed Dec 1 09:05:05 EST 2004

    Jeremy> Ok, I'm going to let off some steam here... :-) <rant mode
    Jeremy> on> This is what drives me *nuts* about krb5 debugging for
    Jeremy> customers.  WHY DOESN'T THE ERROR MESSAGE GIVE SOME
    Jeremy> DETAILS ABOUT WHAT IT IS TRYING TO DO ! For example, the
    Jeremy> filename it was trying to open and what the error code was
    Jeremy> ?  </rant mode off>
    >> Would you be interested in helping design a way to do this?
    >> Heimdal allows an error string to be stored inside a context
    >> and retrieved later.  That gives you enough flexibility to
    >> store the file name etc.  The complexity is that we would need
    >> to go through the code and find every place where we have an
    >> error return and at least clear that string so the error
    >> returned always corresponded to the string if it was set.

    Douglas> Tag the string with the error code too, so only clear it
    Douglas> if the error code to be reported to the user does not
    Douglas> match the error with the message.

Yeah, that works. It means the user has to pass in both a context and
an error code to get the (possibly enhanced) error string.

I think having to pass in an eventually unnecessary error code is an
acceptable price to pay for reasonable error reporting from krb5.

--Sam